Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Partnership in the Gospel

I've had the privilege of preaching at my father's installation not once, but twice. Since today is his birthday, I thought I would post this sermon from his installation at Zion Lutheran Church, Painesville as my tribute to him. Happy Birthday, Dad!

God’s Word comes to us from Paul’s letter to the Christians in Phillipi, where he writes: “I thank my God for all the memories I have of you. Every time I pray for all of you, I do it with joy. I can do this because of the partnership we’ve had with you in the Good News from the first day you believed until now. I’m convinced that God, who began this good work in you, will carry it through to completion on the day of Christ Jesus.” This is the word of the Lord.

“Every time I pray for all you, I do it with joy. I can do this because of the partnership we’ve had…” It’s that word “partnership” that I’d like for us to focus on today. In a way, that one word gives us a complete picture of the relationship that exists between pastor and people when it is centered in Christ Jesus. May the Lord of the Church demonstrate his grace by leading you, people and pastor, into a true partnership in the Gospel.
Dad, I never thought I would be doing this again. And I really never thought I would be doing this here, at a church four miles from my own! Our God has truly shown us His loving kindness in making us not just neighbors but also partners in ministry.
You know, some funny things have happened before when we’ve been partners. Playing partners, that is. I’ll never forget the times we went to Myrtle Beach and the two of us were paired up with other twosomes, and we start playing as a foursome, and the guys that we’re playing with hit a bad shot and…speak their mind, in a colorful way…and that would go on for a while and then in the course of the usual small talk we would get asked, so what do you do? And you would say, “I’m a Lutheran pastor and my son is studying to become one.” And in the moment of silence that followed you could actually see them ticking down the list of everything they’d said. It was like a bubble that appeared over their head. And for the rest of the round, the language was amazingly G-rated. A lot of rats! Nuts! & Oh No! I guess respect for the pastoral office is not dead, after all.
As excited as I am that you’re here, though, today is not about me or even about us—it’s about your call to serve the people of Zion. This is a congregation with a wonderful history of being greatly blessed by God, and in turn, being a great blessing to this community. Through them, the Lord has called you to be their pastor, their shepherd, one who will help them write new chapters in their story of faithfulness. It’s God’s will that you would now form a partnership in the good news with them. Now that all sounds very good and churchly, but what does a God-pleasing partnership really look like?
Well, first of all, take another look at the way the apostle Paul talks to the Philippian Christians. He thanks God for the memories he has of them. He prays for them with joy. He sees God at work in them. This is a partnership built on Christ-like love. This partnership was born in Christ and established through Christ. It is the partnership that develops when a group of people recognize themselves as sinners, as people who would be utterly lost without Jesus, people who would be sliding down the path to hell were it not for Christ. That’s humbling! That levels the playing field, doesn’t it? But then, we also share in the same Savior when the same Spirit points us to Him. None of us deserve heaven; all of us who trust in Jesus receive it. Faith that trusts in Jesus’ sacrifice and risen life also enables us to see Jesus at work in each other—remember how Paul put it: “I’m convinced that God, who began this good work in you, will carry it through to completion on the day of Christ Jesus.” How could there not be love among God’s faithful people, when this is the gift that we share? This is where a partnership in the gospel begins.
Another thing that characterizes a true partnership in the Gospel is when the partners play to their strengths and gladly accept their roles. Certainly there are tasks that are peculiar to the pastoral office--after all, the pastoral office is God’s idea. Paul told the elders in Ephesus, “Pay attention to yourselves and to the entire flock in which the Holy Spirit has made you guardians, to feed the church of the Lord which he acquired with his own blood.” The Good Shepherd has given undershepherds—pastors-- to his Church as his representatives. But part of being a good partner on the pastor’s side means using this authority wisely and dare I say, lovingly. As Dr. James Bollhagen of Concordia Theological Seminary writes,

After spending several months teaching the truths of God’s Word to an adult confirmation class and demanding their undivided attention, it was inevitable that one of the neophytes to the Lutheran Church would ask, “Just how shall I address you?” My stock answer was: “You can call me Your Holiness.” After a brief flash of panic in the questioner’s eyes, a smile would creep across his face. In a sense, a healthy pastoral relationship was established in that moment. The confirmand knew that when I was dealing with the business of Word and Sacrament, utmost respect and ears open were essential; but my self-deprecation also led him to see a man who could play softball with him (and strike out), a man who had cars that stalled, who actually had a sense of humor, who got sick, who could say some mighty stupid things about the business world or gardening. Here was a man just like him. On one hand, I was always known to him as “Pastor.” On the other hand, I was human and everything that goes along with that designation.

On the other side of the partnership is the congregation—the people—the priesthood of all believers. You should rightly expect your pastor to be a servant—to serve you with the gifts God gives through his Church. But that, in turn, will create the desire to be a servant in you, as Jesus himself comes to live in you through Word and Sacrament ministry. Can I really say this? Part of the fun of being in a partnership in the gospel is exploring together—pastor and people—what we can do to serve our neighbors. Identifying your strengths as a congregation, playing to those strengths, considering the Scriptural advice of a pastor who loves you and has your best interest in mind. Respecting the fact that your shepherd will have to give an account for his ministry to the Chief Shepherd—and that you play a part in that. This is serious, exciting, life or death stuff here. Supporting, encouraging, serving each other in the roles the Lord has chosen for us—a partnership in the good news has these qualities
I would be remiss if I did not also mention that a partnership in the gospel, since it’s about THE GOSPEL, assumes that genuine forgiveness will be given and received between both parties. Forgiveness in Christ is what holds the partnership together. As a friend of mine once said, “The church is not a place where people are granted forgiveness only if they can first prove that they don’t need it.” Did you get that? I’ll repeat it. A partnership in the good news puts the good news to work. It lives the good news of Jesus’ forgiveness. It has to, or the partnership will crumble.
And so it is my sincere prayer, and I’m sure I echo the sentiments of my brother pastors and visitors from your sister congregations, that the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ would cement a true partnership in His good news between Pastor Gerald Matzke and the gathered saints of Zion Lutheran Church, for your mutual growth in faith and for the praise of His name in our community. And if you don’t mind, before I wrap things up here, there are a couple more things I’d like to tell my Dad. You can listen in, too.
Dad, you’ll be developing a number of relationships and partnerships in the months ahead, and I just wanted to give you a head’s up on a few of them. First of all, the one person who will probably become your closest partner in ministry is Vicar Jim Riley, and I think the two of you are going to make quite a team. You know I’ve had the privilege of working with Jim in his DELTO training and…are you cringing yet, Jim?...you’re entering a partnership with one of the most passionate, knowledgeable, and truly humble Christians I’ve ever met. That’s what I was supposed to say, right? I think you will be a blessing to each other and an example of the type of partnership I’ve been talking about.
You will also have the opportunity to partner with Our Shepherd Lutheran School. I think it would be fair to say that if it were not for the Lutheran educational system neither one of us would be doing what we’re doing today. I can’t wait for you to get to know everyone involved in this exceptional teaching ministry. Sue and I like to call Our Shepherd “Andy’s school,” even though that’s a couple years away at this point. But that’s the kind of investment we have in its success. My suspicion is that you will bring a similar level of interest to this special partnership.
Finally, with all the changes going on right now for you, with all the hopes and expectations that you’re dealing with, your partnership with your Lord Jesus is being tested. Especially at the beginning of a new call, we pastors are reminded of how utterly dependent we are on Jesus just for the ability to do the job. And there is a tendency to wonder about: will I be able to do this? How will I be able to do that? When I find myself asking those sort of questions, I find great relief in these words, “Not I, but Christ in me.” This is what God is calling you to give the people of Zion. You can’t fix their problems, but Christ can. You can’t heal their diseases or broken hearts, but Christ can. “Not I, but Christ in me.” That’s the partnership you have with Jesus, and I’m convinced that God, who began this good work in you, will carry it through to completion on the day of Christ Jesus.

People of Zion; Pastor Matzke. Pastor Matzke; people of Zion. Let the partnership begin! Amen.

Now may the God of peace himself grant you peace at all times and in all ways. The Lord be with you all. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark. It was good to read those words again. I certainly enjoy our partnership here in Painesville. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://bygufowoji.freewaywebhost.com/jucoro.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]