Thursday, August 30, 2007

Knowing God Means Knowing Christ

The following devotional thought is taken from Martin Luther's Sermons on the Gospel of St. John (1537).

"I have made known to you everything that I heard from my Father." John 15:15b

These are beautiful and comforting words. Christ says to us: "If you want to know the Father's will and thought in heaven, you have all the information right here, for I have told you
everything." A Christian can arrive at this definite conculsion and say:"Nothing that serves my salvation is concealed from me."
Christ is not saying that we are to have an answer to every question, but that we have God's whole plan and counsel for us. If you want to be certain what God in heaven thinks of you, you must not seclude yourself, retire into some nook, and brood about it or seek the answer in your works or in your contemplation. Give ear solely to the words of Christ, for everything is revealed in Him.
And here He declares: "I was sent to you by my Father that I might shed my blood and die for you. As a token of this you have Baptism and the Sacrament, and I ask you to believe this. Here you have all that I know and have heard from the Father. The Father has no other plan and intention toward you than to save you if you have Christ and faith. From this you see how I love you, and what friendship, glory, consolation, and assurance you have from Me. You cannot attain this anywhere else, either in heaven or on
earth."

No comments: