Thursday, August 16, 2007

This Is The Threefold Truth

From time to time, I'll be sharing things I've come across in my personal reading that I think are thought-provoking, faith-building, or even devotional in nature. If you're helped by any of this, I'd love to know.

I love the hymns of the church. (I'm sure that comes as no surprise.) I think of them not only as hymns, but also as poetry, and also as brief and lively statements of faith (what one of my seminary professors calls "sung confessions.")

What follows is a beautifully constructed little hymn that was included in Hymnal Supplement 98. It does not appear that it made the jump to LSB. Anyway, see if these words speak to you.

This is the threefold truth on which our faith depends;
And with this joyful cry worship begins and ends:
Christ has died! Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

Made sacred by long use, new-minted for our time,
Our liturgies sum up the hope we have in Him:
Christ has died! Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

On this we fix our minds as, kneeling side by side,
We take the bread and wine--take Him, the Crucified:
Christ has died! Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

By this we are upheld when doubt or grief assails
Our Christian faith and love, and only grace avails:
Christ has died! Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

This is the threefold truth which, if we hold it fast,
Changes the world and us and brings us home at last:
Christ has died! Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

Text: Fred Pratt Green, b. 1903

No comments: